Custom Search

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Japanese ace loses teen showdown at US Open

NEW YORK (AFP) - Argentina's Juan Martin Del Potro ended the US Open dream run of Japan's Kei Nishikori with a 6-3, 6-4, 6-3 triumph Monday in a fourth-round matchup of teen stars seen as destined for greatness.

The 19-year-old South American stretched his win streak to 23 matches and became the first teen in the last eight at the US Open since American Andy Roddick in 2001, denying the honor to his 18-year-old Asian rival.
"It's unbelievable. I don't know what happened with me and my tennis but it has been a great week for me," Del Potro said.
Nishikori, who ousted fourth seed David Ferrer in the third round, was the youngest player to reach the US Open round of 16 since Marat Safin a decade ago and would have been the youngest quarter-finalist since Andre Agassi in 1988.
"I'm pretty happy right now. I came here trying to get past the first round. That was my goal," Nishikori said. "Next year hopefully I will stay healthy and play well, make the quarters next year I hope."
Del Potro, ranked 17th, has won his past four tournaments - Stuttgart, Kitzbuhel, Los Angeles and Washington - and is only the second player ranked outside the top 10 in the past 20 years to compile a 15-match win streak.
"I just do my best in the matches," he said. "I'll try to win my fifth in a row but it's very tough."
Australian Open champion Novak Djokovic, a 21-year-old Serbian seeded third at the US Open after a run to last year's final, is impressed with the talent of the duo and Croatian teen Marin Cilic, whom he ousted in the third round.
"It's good for the sport to have rising stars coming up," Djokovic said. "Cilic and Del Potro and Nishikori, they are all top-10 players. I'm sure we are going to see them in the future."
Nishikori, who injured his abdomen and retired this year at Wimbledon in his Grand Slam debut, won his first ATP title in February at Delray Beach and can see himself in the top 10 as well someday.
"Right now, no, but I'm playing well this year," Nishikori said. "I had so many injuries this year, my back, my stomach. I've got to work more on taking care of my body, less injuries. Then I can get my ranking higher.
"I will get more confidence from this week. I beat (Argentina's Juan) Monaco first round and I was almost cramping. I got mentally strong and beat Ferrer. I will get confidence."
Nishikori, who owns a home in Florida near his training base, failed in his bid to match the only Japanese man to ever reach the quarter-finals of a Grand Slam event in the 40-year Open era, Shuzo Matsuoka at Wimbledon in 1995.
"He taught me some things when I was 12 or 13. I'm trying to beat his career," Nishikori said.
The top idols for Nishikori are 12-time Grand Slam champion Roger Federer and the man who replaced him as world number one, Spain's Rafael Nadal.
"I like how Nadal plays," Nishikori said. "Roger too. He can do everything. He plays so smart. That's what I'm trying to be."
Nishikori was the first Japanese man to reach the final 16 at the US championship since 1937 and could have become Japan's first quarter-finalist at the event, counting pre-Open era results, since Zenzo Shimidzu in 1922.
Nishikori, who would have been the lowest-ranked quarter-finalist since 1999 at 126th in the world, grabbed a 3-0 lead but lost seven games in a row and could never match Del Potro's rhythm in the match after that.
"I was a little tired, mentally more tired and at the same time he was playing really well. He didn't miss any balls," Nishikori said. "I was just waiting for his mistakes. I couldn't use my forehand."
Nishikori, with his mother Eri watching at Louis Armstrong Stadium, finally succumbed after two hours and eight minutes but not before earning his rival's respect.
"He's a good player. He has a good future," Del Potro said. "It's a good tournament for him also."


by Jim Slater

No comments:

Football Livescore

Tennis Livescore

Basketball Livescore