Custom Search

Friday, October 3, 2008

Yao admits fitness struggle

Houston center Yao Ming has admitted he was less than 100% when he played for China at the Beijing Olympics.

Yao returned to training camp with the Houston Rockets on Tuesday ahead of the new NBA season and has declared himself fit to go, while admitting that he had played through the pain in Beijing.

"I feel good," he told the Houston Chronicle. "I can't say it's like brand new, but it's like my foot."

The Rockets had been nervous about allowing Yao to play in Beijing so soon after he suffered the injury in February, but accepted they would not be able to persuade the face of Chinese basketball to sit out an Olympic Games on home soil.

Having played, Yao said he felt the Games had helped his recovery.

"That was not 100%, I know that," he said of his fitness in Beijing. "I was about 70 or 80% in the Olympics. I tried my best. Because of my injury, I could not give them 100%.

"But in a way, the Olympics were a very good tryout for me to prepare for the Rockets' season. If you throw this out there, probably some of the Chinese fans will not be happy, but that's just being honest."

by espnstar.com/us-sports/nba/news

No comments:

Football Livescore

Tennis Livescore

Basketball Livescore