Custom Search

Sunday, September 28, 2008

Duo reach Thailand Open final

Australian Open finalists Novak Djokovic and Jo-Wilfried Tsonga are set for an intriguing re-match at the Thailand Open.

The top-seeded Djokovic beat number three Tomas Berdych of the Czech Republic, 7-5 6-1 on Saturday to set up a re-match of January's Australian Open final against Tsonga, who hours earlier had beaten fourth seed and fellow Frenchman Gael Monfils 6-0 6-3.

"It will be great to meet Jo once again," said Djokovic, who won his first Grand Slam title in Melbourne. "It will be very interesting to play him.

"It's the second time we play and again it's in a final. Anything can happen, I don't see myself as the favourite. Jo has been playing fantastic tennis this week and is very motivated."

Neither player had much of a problem in Saturday's semi-final play.

The third-ranked Djokovic fired six aces while winning all three break points to oust Berdych in 1 hour, 21 minutes.

"I used my opportunities," said the Serb, who has 10 career titles. "I had the feeling that I was sleeping through the first set and only woke up in the second."

Tsonga, who has not won a title, was even more impressive in eliminating compatriot Monfils in their first ATP main-draw meeting.

The world number 20 controlled the match from the beginning, winning three-quarters of his service points while converting four of his six break-point opportunities.

"I played unbelievably today," said Tsonga, who missed the French Open and Wimbledon after having knee surgery. "I hit the ball very well, but I wasn't moving too well. I have to move better in the final.

"I'm very happy to be in the final. I didn't expect this result in this tournament for me."

by espnstar.com

No comments:

Football Livescore

Tennis Livescore

Basketball Livescore